Thursday, April 12, 2007

I Can't Eat Friday or Miter Miter Sticks on Fire



Spring has sprung here in Florida too! Not really, it's been spring here since forever. I don't even know what the botanical name is for this flower. I only know it's called a Devil's Horn. I can grow them but not name them. This one was given to me by my MIL about 3 years ago. It was dying. It died. Or so I thought.

It "hibernates" for weeks, sometimes months, then out of the dirt sprouts this tiny bit of a plant. Its root is really a bulb that keeps coming back. Very cool.

An ax fell gently at work today. Every employee was gathered and given the news together. I couldn't help but look around the room and study the many faces I have become so familiar with these past years. I wanted to cry. I didn't though, not a good display of emotion in this particular situation. I started thinking how much I was going to miss so many of these people. I have a tightness in my chest and am on the verge of tears. My family has that be nice to mommy or she'll melt look. What's going to happen to the morning routine? I have 2 kids to safely deliver to 2 schools. Then I realize worse things can happen in life. So, I look to the knit side of things. Also, a concert doesn't hurt.

B and I are going to see The Flaming Lips tomorrow! I know this will cheer me up.

Then I started to think how much I like to eat. I'm not a big eater by any means any more, but I've been known to scarf down 3 donuts with my coffee once in a blue moon.
But in times like these, when most folks say they are more prone to eat more than usual, I can not. This is not good for me, but I can't help it. We are being treated very generously, but this also brings a major life change along with emotional ties that must be broken. I must find something that will cheer me up and keep me cheerful, because I can't stand to be around myself when I feel down. No. Good.

So, I was reading blogs to catch up on the latest and realized that there is much Mitering going on. It all started when The Mothers of Miter let loose their creativity on us, thus encouraging many Miters to be born. Or should I say worn? Cara has been knitting a blanket of many many colors and I so enjoy watching it grow and change. It reminds me of how I enjoyed watching her log cabin grow too. I was fascinated by it. I wanted to get excited about a project that would just make me happy to work on no matter how large or small it would be.

Then I read Wendy's blog and she too, is Mitering away at a project I'm also intrigued by. The thing I noticed in reading these blogs is, how much fun they seem to be having with these projects. I need to find a project that makes me feel happy.

I can't remember where I saw more Miters, but I did.

And thanks to power of positive blogging, I landed a project albeit small, that makes me grin! It isn't a miter, but I do have yarn in the stash slated for some.
I must be sure to remove the dime from the Devil's Horn, I may just need it. What were we told? Oh yes, knit on.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

That stinks! When one door closes blah blah blah. I hope it brings better things for you!

Michelle Martino said...

What a crappy crapper! Don't ya think at this stage of the game things would get easier?! Geez my friend, I am so sorry you have all this to contend with :(
You know somehow there is always a light at the end of the tunnel, but who said we like to go through tunnels? They're way too dark and you can't knit through them :)
(Sad attempt at sending you a smile)!

Carole Knits said...

I'm sorry about the job, that's really rough. I've been the "supportive spouse" on this type of thing and it can really be difficult for everyone. I hope things turn around for you quickly.

Bezzie said...

I wish you the best in the job hunt. Sometimes the job market surprises me. But yes, it does suck having to leave that nice comfortable job you're in now.
But hey, have fun seeing the Flaming Lips tonite! They're not my fave, but they're up there!

Bridget said...

I hope you'll feel better in a few days, once you have a chance to digest everything.

I too am fascinated by all of the mitered projects being done. As usual, I'm always amazed when people make up their patterns as they go along ...

Anyway, be good to yourself, and try to think of this as just a short break, rather than the dreaded unemployment.

Let me know if I can help.

erin said...

I'm so sorry, but I am secretly jealous of your flaming lips concert.

skully said...

sending you tons of hugs! we're behind you 100 percent! maybe we can have a mojito after knitting on monday.

Robin said...

Carol, I've definitely expressed my condolences as we discussed this yesterday, but I wanted to say again how sorry I am you're going through this.

Knitting and blogging are great ways to try to cheer yourself up. And you will see the work people you really want to continue to see - I've stayed in touch with the ppl from my previous jobs.

Take care and hugs, Robin

Melody said...

everything happens for a reason..thats what i'm told anyway. THE FLAMING LIPS !! totally totally awesome.. i saw them way back in the 80's... could that be right? Can't wait to see what you start knitting.. I too love seeing all those miters.. i may have to try me one or two and see if I catch the fever :) have a GREAT weekend!

Anonymous said...

so sorry to hear about the news. being someone who worked through the dot com era, i've been through it before. rough. but really one of the best times of my life. i met my finace at that time. only good will come of this...time will reveal its purpose to you. in the meantime, take advantage and relax!! :)

Kim in Oregon said...

Yee...sorry to hear the news BUT better things are down the road. Really. Thinking of you...

kim

Debi said...

Is this the same company that sent you to that gorgeous hotel just a few weeks ago? Sheesh!!

I sad you're hurting now Carol, I'm here if you need a shoulder!

hillary said...

So sorry to hear the news. I really do believe that things have a way of working out though and I'm sure this will too. Some way, some how you'll wind up better for this. Enjoy the concert!

Anonymous said...

I'm so very, very sorry to hear about that job thing - this really stinks! All the best of luck on your job hunt - you know, as Hillary said, I'm also a firm believer that things are always working out in the end, and I'm having all my fingers crossed that this will to!
Enjoy the concert, will you?

Anonymous said...

Oh Carol, I'm so sorry. I tend to agree with the others: sometimes these situations work out for the best. I hope this is the case for you. Many, many hugs. x

Roseann said...

What a life-changing event for you! I wonder what opportunity will present itself for you next? I look forward to hearing all about the Flaming Lips concert.

Jenni said...

An axe? Oh no! I am so sorry. That would be so hard...hopefully it will bring good things for you.

Anonymous said...

What a cool little flower!

I'm sure something wonderful will come from this. You can do what I do, just keep thinking that Fall will be better, or next Spring, or sometime down the road. And I know I can make it until them.

You'll be in my thoughts!

kaoticorchid said...

I'm sorry to hear about your job! My husband is jealous that you get to see The Flaming Lips. Go have fun, you deserve it.