Monday, September 10, 2007

Sunrise, Sunset

This is what I saw from my back yard this morning and had to share it with you.



A sunrise is beautiful thing. It brings with it the promise of the day to come. I realized a moment later that this was the 17th anniversary of my father's death. He left us suddenly, without warning or goodbyes. To the southwest, I saw this sky:




Dad: March 17, 1952

The stormy sky made me realize how beautiful and expected things can be and how suddenly they can change without warning. It's been a partly dreary day ever since. I seemed to have glanced at the best part of the sky today and I'm grateful.

My mother, also no longer here, left me this bloom on her orchid this week.



Although my parents were divorced for years before they left this earth, I don't believe they'd begrudge me a collaborative effort by them to bring me a little pleasure for a few moments. This is how I remember my dad.


December 25, 1989

Cherish the sunshine, the laughter and even the rain. Things can turn stormy at any moment.

"Knit on, with confidence and hope, through all crises." -Elizabeth Zimmerman

20 comments:

Roseann said...

What a beautiful and touching post, thank you so much for sharing your special moments with us.

Lucia said...

Lovely post. Lovely sky. And wise words.

Anonymous said...

I love how you wrote about this special day, the little messages you received and the memories they created for you. And like EZ said: Knit on. x

Bridget said...

Even if it's sad, your parents are smiling at a beautiful day when you had special memories of them. It's always better to miss someone than not to have had them in your life at all.

Jenni said...

WOW!! How special it must be to be reminded of your mother whenever her orchid blooms. I also amazed that you can it it to bloom!

Ann said...

Such beautiful memories of your parents! The orchid is lovely & reminds me of the Orchid Garden back in Singapore - it so beautiful to see all the blooms.

Kim in Oregon said...

I'm a wee bit weepy right now.

Michelle Martino said...

Beautiful photos and wonderful thoughts!

barbp said...

As a young man your Dad looks so PROUD, and as a mature man he looks so happy and full of fun! Your Mom left you with a wonderful gift that we can see in the flowers. Both your parents gave the world a wonderful gift and that's you and yours.

Thanks for sharing.

Bezzie said...

Great post chickie.

NH Knitting Mama said...

Beautiful tribute!

heyfatlulu said...

If I had read this yesterday...
*hugs*

this was beautiful, Carol, thanks for sharing it. and thanks for making me cry before my first cup of joe!
; ) xo

hillary said...

That was such a nice way to remember your parents. Very sweet.

Marin (AntiM) said...

OK, first... lovely moment on your parents.

Second... you were up with the sun? That's dedication. Or insanity. Or something.

In any case, I'm impressed all the way 'round.

Vicki Knitorious said...

Beautiful.

Debi said...

What a lovely tribute.

This is gonna be my first birthday without my Dad and it's so hard...

jenifleur said...

Oh, so bittersweet. I'm sorry for the painful part. And I'm so glad for the happy parts. Hugs!

Melody said...

just so you know.. I've been singing SUNRISE-SUNSET for the last two days. THANKS! ;) beautiful post

kaoticorchid said...

What a wonderful post. Your dendrobium is gorgeous, what a gift your Mother has left you to remind you that they are still with you.

Robin said...

Great post. Very touching.